giantkilr
BuffD
vagrant
UTSugarDaddy
10 posters

Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much???

UTSugarDaddy
    UTSugarDaddy

Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much??? Empty Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much???

Post by UTSugarDaddy Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:11 am

I hit abt 300 grams of protein per day, but i'd say 200 of that comes from protein shakes and the other 100 comes from dairy and cuts of meat. are there any adverse effects from getting so much protein from powders?
    vagrant
    vagrant

Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much??? Empty Re: Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much???

Post by vagrant Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:55 am

Harmful? Just less gains and possibly more fat storage, depending on the size of each shake. Shakes are terriffic around your workout because they are quickly abosrbed into the system when your muscles are crying out for nutrition. Other times, if your body doesn't need as much all at once - the excess is simply converted to glucose then stored as glycogen - if the glycogen stores are already full - then it's stored as fat.

That's why whole food is preferable whenever possible (except in the preworkout/workout/postworkout period) because it is digested slower, trickles into the system more gradaully, and is more likely to be absorbed so it gives your body a more steady supply of nutrients.

If you must do lots of shakes, consider casein over whey for times outside of the workout window.

They can be a valuable tool though. Recently I was injured, sick, and unable to eat. At the same time my doc told me to increase my calories from the 3000ish I was getting to 4500 each day. I had to start with 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops of whey, and 1 banana from the blender - 6 times a day. Then I replaced them one at a time with whole food until I got my calories up to where I needed them to be. I still use 3 a day, but also have 2 cups of OJ, 4 whole food meals, and 2 dextrose/maltodextrin homemade gatoraid type drinks each day.

Hope this is helpful information for you.
    BuffD
    BuffD

Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much??? Empty Re: Do I Use Protein Shakes Too Much???

Post by BuffD Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:53 am

I would definately try to get in more whole food. Your digestive system will thank you. Alot of people get some issues having too many shakes. Your metabolism will work better if you have more whole food. Your body has to work to break down whole food where it really doesn't have to do much to a shake. You will still grow for sure but the nutrients in whole food will probably do alot more for you.
    giantkilr
    giantkilr

Post by giantkilr Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:51 am

if that's the only way to get the protein down, then that's better than nothing at all...
    Too Small
    Too Small

Post by Too Small Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:34 am

bigguy wrote:if that's the only way to get the protein down, then that's better than nothing at all...

I agree with bigguy..

But, you should try to change it up to get more protein from foods.
    Dr. Steroids
    Dr. Steroids
    Admin

Post by Dr. Steroids Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:21 am

I would agree w/ bigguy in the fact that you need to get it in somehow but whole foods is by far much better when trying to get your daily nutrition.
    k0nsl
    k0nsl

Post by k0nsl Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:53 am

Try to get 300grams of protein from real food and drink your protein shakes throughout the day.
    ptest
    ptest

Post by ptest Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:27 am

Gotta do what ya gotta do..but bump what everyone else says...def eat as much food as you can!
    bigworm6
    bigworm6

Post by bigworm6 Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:17 am

How many grams of protien in each shake?
    lexus33
    lexus33

Post by lexus33 Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:15 am

Solid food with a mix of shakes is best. I would say have 4 meals solid and 2-3 shakes per day. Or adjust to your diet. Technology and food science has come along way so don't think shakes aren't a good food source, b/c they are!

Mixing it up is best with anything but drinking your nutrients is ok.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm