6 posters

Fish Oil and Fat Loss

ramborippt
    ramborippt

loss - Fish Oil and Fat Loss Empty Fish Oil and Fat Loss

Post by ramborippt Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:31 am

just came across this article and wanted to share it with you guys:

The Myth about Fish Oil and Fat Loss

If you live in the UK, you might have read a recent article in the Daily Mail about a study showing that daily doses of oil containing omega-3 fatty acids, combined with moderate exercise like walking for 45 minutes, can result in significant weight loss.

But taking the oil without exercise, or exercising without taking the oil, does not result in any weight loss, according to researchers from the University of South Australia.

"When we divided up a number of people in our research program, we found that those taking fish oil combined with exercise lost significantly more fat mass than any other group in the study," says study co-author, Professor Peter Howe.

Sixty-eight overweight-to-obese adults took part in the 12-week trial. They were divided into four groups — a group taking fish oil and exercise, another taking just fish oil, a third group taking sunflower oil without exercise and a fourth being asked to combine sunflower oil and exercise.

The clear winners in the study were those in the group who were given small daily doses of fish oil and who walked or ran for 45 minutes three times a week. They lost an average of 4.5 pounds over the three months.

The group that took the sunflower oil, which does not contain omega-3 fatty acids, but who exercised, did not lose any weight. The two groups that did no exercise (including those on fish oil) also lost no weight.

So, how does fish oil work?
    According to the Daily Mail article, fish oil increases the elasticity of blood vessel walls and improves the flow of blood to muscles during exercise. This increased blood flow, in theory at least, could accelerate fat loss via an increase in the delivery of lipolytic stimuli to fat cells.

Although it's an interesting idea, I'm not sure that an increase in blood flow would be sufficient to account for all of the extra weight loss seen in the group using fish oil.

Other studies I've seen show that the long-chain omega-3s (DHA and EPA) appear to function as fuel partitioners by directing fatty acids away from synthesis and towards oxidation (see the British Journal of Nutrition for a detailed review, or you can read my summary in The Real Truth about Fish Oil and Fat Loss).

If you want to increase your intake of omega-3s, eat more deep-colored cold-water fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel and sardines. On days when you don't eat any cold-water fish (or if you don't eat fish at all), use a fish oil supplement.

However, despite the fact it has a number of important health benefits, the idea that fish oil is some kind of magic bullet for weight loss is a myth. You can't just pop a few fish oil capsules and expect the fat to melt away without making changes to your diet and exercise program first.

And while there's plenty of research demonstrating the effect of fish oil on fat loss in rats and mice, research showing a direct effect on body fat in humans is limited in both size and quality.

In fact, other than the study reported in the Daily Mail, I could find only two published trials to show that long-chain omega-3s accelerate fat loss in humans.

To my knowledge, no such studies exist for alpha-linolenic acid (the short chain omega-3 fatty acid found in walnuts and flaxseed). If anyone knows of any that have been done, I'd love to hear about them.
    smartwater
    smartwater

loss - Fish Oil and Fat Loss Empty Re: Fish Oil and Fat Loss

Post by smartwater Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:05 am

yea the daily mail is worse then the sun imo. total trash
    ramborippt
    ramborippt

Post by ramborippt Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:01 am

i dont know what you mean ?
    dump truck
    dump truck

Post by dump truck Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:54 am

On Monday night in OZ there is a show called whats good for you and last show they did Omega 3 and the research shows that it is very good for you it stops fat clogging your arteries. They should that salmon has the most omega 3 in it then anyhting else.
    dboy

Post by dboy Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:28 am

There are tonz of companies out there... but I finally settled with NordicNaturals. Solid products in my opinion. Pharmaceutical Standards. I get the straight 'Liver Cod Oil' and just shoot it... It has a nice solid serving of DHA, EPA, GLA.

I recommend missing your daily dose if you have a date that night... A silent mini Seal-Burp is the fastest way to kill the moment haha.
    ramborippt
    ramborippt

Post by ramborippt Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:17 am

i take the total efa by health from the sun. it has all of the essential fatty acids in it !
    gustavo77
    gustavo77
    VIP
    VIP

Post by gustavo77 Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 am

I just take wild salmon oil capsules. You can get good quality brands in places like Walmart and other stores like that, that have pharmacies. They often have good sales on them and then I just stock up.
    BoomShaker
    BoomShaker

Post by BoomShaker Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

then at the top left lift on "the basic starter pack" and it brings up the product   Res-Q 1250.  Give it a read, I am very confident you will enjoy the read AND the product.

(i am in no way affiliated with them, I use it and my mom and dad use it to keep their Choles. in check. and it has been keeping their numbers low)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:25 am